Creative Commons License

Sunday 20 April 2014

Sonnets on Sunday: Wordsworth visits Wales

I'm just back from my week off in Wales and in anticipation of a very Welsh themed Friday (3 posts! & lots of photos) I thought I'd share a poem about one of the places I visited.


TO THE TORRENT AT THE DEVIL'S BRIDGE, NORTH WALES, 1824

HOW, art thou named? In search of what strange land
From what huge height, descending? Can such force
Of waters issue from a British source,
Or hath not Pindus fed thee, where the band
Of Patriots scoop their freedom out, with hand
Desperate as thine? Or come the incessant shocks
From that young Stream, that smites the throbbing rocks
Of Viamala? There I seem to stand,
As in life's morn; permitted to behold,
From the dread chasm, woods climbing above woods,
In pomp that fades not; everlasting snows;
And skies that ne'er relinquish their repose;
Such power possess the family of floods
Over the minds of Poets, young or old!


WILLIAM WORDSWORTH