Turns out that people who say one thing online in a completely anonymous and consequence free environment are unlikely to follow up any of the things they said they'd do. If only Brexiteers and the alt-right (two totally different groups of course) were also so spectral in their support. Although this story helps prove that apparent volume of online support doesn't necessarily lead to true believers. If we're not being watched or we have no responsibility to enact the things we say we'll do then we rarely seem to do them.
|Link to BBC story here|
Well, the March deadline came and went without any public guillotines making an appearance and even after the October Spooktactular deadline was also passed, still not an incident had occurred. Perhaps they are biding their time?
I mean, either that, or the Farages, Tommy Robinsons and other Dick Braines were just all full of shit and pandering to a delusional and easily swayed crowd of scared, confused and not overly sympathetic people with bombastic ranting specifically designed to appeal to weaker impulses and help keep them in power.
You could end of feeling sorry for them if they weren't literally the worst sort of people imaginable.
Here's an example in case it seems like I'm making a straw man.
|Tommy Trumpet and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Booklet|
For a brief while it seemed as if the far-right was on a resurgence all across Europe (indeed, elsewhere it really is and is an actual threat) but thankfully Tommy seems to have almost single-handedly damaged the standing of such parties in the UK almost fatally. Perhaps another figurehead will rise up to become this generation's Nick Griffin, but I can't help but think that Tommy's has had his time already. Since his release from Belmarsh prison in September, Tommy has been rather quiet, but it's interesting to see that one of the last public things he did was to 'back Boris'. Perhaps it's just that 'they' have become mainstream and that people like Tommy are no longer needed.
Really there's not much more that needs to be said about these people, as there's no point in engaging with them in good faith as this is the last thing that they would ever do. Their rhetoric is a swirling nonsense of racist buzzwords that only the initiated can interpret (AKA a dogwhistle) which leaves a deniability that allows their verbal slurry to permeate normal channels of discourse in an attempt to 'mainstream' their ideas. Fortunately, unlike the fascists of the USA and elsewhere in Europe and Russia, our lot are a rather pea-brained collection of failed humans.
I mean, unless you think that Farage and Boris Johnson pose an actual existential threat to the UK.
I'll get back to you about that on Friday the 13th.
Timeline of events:
Timeline of events:
- 28/3/18 Yaxley-Lennon banned from Twitter
- 14/4/18 Gerard Batten becomes leader of UKIP (acting leader from Feb)
- 25/5/18 Stephen Yaxley-Lennon AKA 'Tommy Robinson' arrested for breach of the peace, filming outside Leeds Crown Court grooming trial, when he had already been previously warned (he was on a suspended sentence)
- 17/6/18 Various 'Alt-Right' social media 'influencers' join party, they include; Paul Joseph Watson (Infowars), Carl Benjamin AKA 'Sargon of Akkad' (YouTuber), Milo Yiannopoulos (former Breitbart), and Markus Meechan AKA 'Count Dankula'. All support 'Tommy'
- 1/8/18 Yaxley-Lennon freed on bail, court of appeal rules he should be charged with contempt of court and not breach of the peace
- 23/10/18 Judge rules that Yaxley-Lennon's case be referred to the attorney general
- 8/11/18 Paypal stops handling payments for Yaxley-Lennon and others
- 23/11/18 UKIP leader Gerard Batten defends hiring of 'Tommy' as 'advisor' the previous day
- 27/11/18 UKIP MEP Patrick O'Flynn defects to SDP
- 3/12/18 UKIP leader Gerard Batten survives vote of no confidence
- 4/12/18 Former leader Nigel Farage resigns from UKIP cites "obsession with Islam"
- 6/12/18 Former Welsh leader Nathan Gill resigns from UKIP
- 7/12/18 Scottish leader David Coburn resigns from UKIP cites "extremist... infiltration"
- 7/12/18 Former leader Paul Nuttall resigns from UKIP cites 'Tommy Robinson' as reason
- 9/12/18 'Brexit Betrayal' March led by 'Tommy' and others in London.
- 26/2/19 Yaxley-Lennon banned from Facebook and Instagram
- 15/3/19 Yaxley-Lennon loses 'discrimination' case against Cambridgeshire police
- 2/4/19 Yaxley-Lennon videos restricted on Youtube
- 5/4/19 Yaxley-Lennon banned from Snapchat
- 25/4/19 Yaxley-Lennon announces plans to stand as an MEP
- 23/5/19 European Elections: Yaxley-Lennon loses deposit after polling 2.2% in North-West, Carl Benjamin finished 6th polling 3.2% in the South-West, and Mark Meechan polled at 1.8% finishing 4th in Scotland. UKIP leader Gerald Batten polled at 2.1% in London. Worst results ever for the party in it's brief existence, being eclipsed by Nigel Farage's Brexit Party. In total UKIP gained 3.2% of the overall vote, a deficit of 23.4% and losing all 23 of their previously held seats.
- 2/7/19 Gerard Batten steps down after 'disastrous' Euro election results
- 11/7/19 Yaxley-Lennon jailed for nine months for Contempt of Court
- 12/7/19 Piers Wauchope appointed Interim Leader of UKIP
- 10/8/19 New UKIP leader Dick Braine appointed
- 30/10/19 Dick Braine resigns as leader :-(
- As of today (11/11/19), UKIP is still Leader and Deputy Leader VACANT