Creative Commons License

Sunday 17 February 2013

Melancholy Mornings: this crappy time of year

So, it's not a Monday and I'm beginning this year in blogging with a complaint. Hardly a sign of any great emotional growth. Still, you should know your limits I suppose.

There has been a reason for my dropping off the blogging habit recently and it's the same reason as before, "the same procedure as every year."

Many people have good reasons for disliking winter and the 'holiday season' in particular, for myself, that whole period and especially January are times that seemingly take so much effort to live through that I find very little time for anything other than basic work functions and generally surviving.  Basically put, I'm not great company at this time of year.

Still, it's well into February now and I'm feeling much better about myself, so I don't feel the need to go on about these problems of mine, which is partially the reason they never get solved. Firstly, because I'm not sure there is such a thing as a solution, but mainly it's because when I'm suffering under them I don't want to talk about it and once I'm feeling better I feel like such a different person there seems no need to revisit it.

I suppose that emotionally hibernating or shutting down over this darker colder time of year might be explained quite simply by the physical causes, but it's also a time of year tied to stressful family meetings, remembrances, and other things that bring on bad thoughts.

I'd like to say, the sun is in the blue sky and all this right with the world, but it isn't. It is, however, now something I can actively deal with again and have enough energy left over to waste on little projects like this one.

So, hello again, happy new year, happy year of the snake, happy 2013.

Not a stellar year for fiction, it really doesn't have the ring of a 2012 or 2020. Indeed, I can only think of one film set in this year and it ain't good...


Let's hope it's better than this.